If an Indian tribe, worked through each of the bureaucratic process using the Bureau of Indian Affairs and may build a casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos around the state, it is likely you run into other folks you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation provided by the casinos. These are the same somebody that has left our town and are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping on the stores, eating at the restaurants, and staying with the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was among the numerous concessions built to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person created a bingo game that appeared to be a slot machine. We have all seen small digital bingo card in the top corner of the display screen of the video slot. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos began to spring up everywhere. After all, you're still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact involving the tribes and also the State of Oklahoma allowed using Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and so are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino are only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries and after that placed inside a trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid has no casino, would be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it absolutely was found, that prior to the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part in the Cherokee Outlet, occupied from the Cherokee people following the Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the spot was a hunting ground from the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive areas of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken up operate tribal governments and programs for the citizens. In addition, a portion in the revenue is split using the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes make use of the revenues to boost infrastructure.
3. Related tourist attractions are built.
4. Jobs are created.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent in the visitors to casinos were enthusiastic about also doing something aside from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions like family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian entrepreneurs.
10. Casinos give you a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who used to travel outside with the area now stays within the area.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is surely an accepted means for governments to boost funds. It is seen as an source of money which is easier to obtain because it's not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the subsequent businesses showed an surge in profits, attendance, and customers after an online casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more info more regularly
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependancy.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour millions of dollars into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes can also be influencing gambling along with other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a lot to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is definitely an increase within the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is called an action addiction. When gambling, those hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more often, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so it takes more gambling and higher stakes, to obtain the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling lights up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition to come to downtown Enid, an amount be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems organic beef not want to deal with?